Below you will find resources to help you with job training, including interview training and direct employment opportunities with companies that like to give Veterans the leg up you have earned.
- The US Department of Labor has a program that rewards companies who are Vet friendly in their hiring. “The US Department of Labor Veterans’ Employment & Training Service (VETS) brings together job banks, state employment offices, American Job Centers, opportunities in top trending industry sectors.” “VETS serves America’s veterans and separating service members by preparing them for meaningful careers, providing employment resources and expertise, and protecting their employment rights.” This includes spouses.
- The US Department of Labor also has Career OneStop your source for career exploration, training & jobs. Find information on local help, workforce development, employment and training programs, community services and unemployment benefits.
- Onward to Opportunity (O2O) from the Syracuse University D’Aniello Institute for Veterans & Military Families is a FREE career training program that provides professional certification and employee support services to transitioning service members, Veterans, and military spouses. O2O offers in-person training opportunities at various military installations as well as on-line opportunities. It combines industry-validated curricula, strong partnerships with leading Veteran service organizations and private sector companies, and comprehensive career coaching services to prepare and match you with your next career.
- If you are in California the biggest FREE program we know of, exclusively for Veterans is Work for Warriors. Over the last two years their unique system of helping the Vet get ready and advocating with the HR directors of the companies you apply for has meant that they have placed over 200 Vets a month.
- Across the country you will find nPower, with FREE training for tech jobs, including placement services. They even have free slots for the children of Vets.
- Similarly, Work2Future has a FREE, complete program from intake, to classes, certification interview training and placement.
- The US Chamber of Commerce Foundation offers the Hiring Our Heroes (HOH) program. With hiring events, fellowship programs, education, and networking opportunities, this program connects service members, spouses, and Veterans with businesses.
- Finally, there is Zip Recruiter for Veterans (877) 252-1062. Not just for job searches, this site also has great videos and tools to help you translate your military experience into a civilian resume, negotiate a salary, learn interview tips, and more.
There are many other ways to find a good job, but Work for Warriors, nPower, Work2Future and ZipRecruiters are absolutely proven and work proactively for and with you, as opposed to job boards where you never know what happens with your submissions.
Once you have a job, you can afford some of the things you want. Then you can get on to tackling the issues that keep you from growing, such as: Anxiety, Relationship Troubles, Sleep Issues, Addiction, Flashbacks, Depression, PTSD, Withdrawal, or any of the other 90+ issues listed on our Self-Help Page.
If you feel like you are ready to change from a job to building a career, this writer suggests that you start with the book, What Color Is Your Parachute? by Richard Nelson Bolles
What Color Is Your Parachute? helps you consider possibilities you may not have thought of, such as ways to figure out what would make you happiest doing, and how to make a living at it. It made a big difference in my life because it changed me from having to go to work, to getting to go to work.
Subscribe to our free newsletter, because every issue has relevant, well researched articles designed specifically to help Post 9/11 Vets, your families and caregivers, as well as Senior Vets and Surviving Spouses.
In addition, there may be other federal, state and local government or private resources for your individual needs. A VSO counselor may be able to help you find them.
LEARN MORE – GET MORE
Learn more about what it feels like to live your best life. Go to our Self-Help Page to explore other issues that can bring you “All The Way Home”.
Also, check out the Claims and Appeals topic to maximize compensation and benefits for yourself AND your loved ones.
It’s your turn to get your best life back! You EARNED it with your service!