FREE Local Help

Veterans Service Organizations (VSOs)

You can always file a claim online with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). However, you should also consider the range of free services from your county Veterans Service Organization (VSO). They are trained and certified to interview you and find all of what you and your family have earned through your service, even if you served in peacetime and never left the states. They file your claim for you, using the key phrases the VA looks for to approve (or deny) your claim.

Related Videos

1 Videos

Most VSOs will know of additional services available from your local government and nonprofits. For instance, California offers home loan assistance that is 15 times that of VA. Plus children of qualified veterans can go to California state colleges for free.

Use our Veterans Service Organizations Locator to find your state VSO. State VSOs will also offer contact information for various county and local VSO offices as well.

Other VSOs

If you don’t have a county-run VSO close to you, search for Accredited VSOs such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans, and others. When you find an organization you like, you can get in touch to see if they have services in your area.

Veterans Affairs Facilities

Use our VA Location Locator to find VA facilities in your local area. The locator searches the Department of Veterans Affairs database for a current listing of accredited facilities and services.